|This event is intended to support GPs eligible to prescribe s100 HBV treatment as well as increase GPs confidence in managing patients with CHB. The update may feature treating specialists or prescribing GPs and include special presentations on new research, virology, clinical practice, case discussion, and other topics. Participants are encouraged submit their cases prior to the event and if there is time your case will be discussed.|
The session will be facilitated by Associate Professor Benjamin Cowie - an infectious diseases physician and epidemiologist, with appointments in both the Epidemiology Unit at VIDRL and VIDS. In addition, Ben is a medical epidemiologist with Communicable Disease Epidemiology and Surveillance, Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, and is an Honorary Principal Fellow in the Department of Medicine at the University of Melbourne. He serves on a range of communicable disease, clinical and public health committees at state, national and international levels.
- Screen at-risk patients, accurately diagnose CHB infection and assess phase of the disease
- Monitor patients appropriately, establish suitability for treatment
- Describe aims of treatment, antiviral treatment options, duration of therapy and definitions of response
- Monitor patients on treatment according to established protocols, recognise and manage treatment response, resistance, hepatitis flares, & encourage compliance
- List risk factors, clinical signs, symptoms and complications of advanced liver disease and appropriately manage or refer to specialist care