- Quality improvement toolkits and templates
- Webinars and education sessions:
- Emergency Response Planning Tool
- Prioritisation of Patients – A guide to urgency for non-clinical staff in general practice for telephone or patient presentations.
The National General Practice Accreditation Scheme supports the consistent assessment of Australian general practices against the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners’ Standards for general practices (5th edition): A benchmark for quality care and risk management in Australian general practices.
The scheme is administered by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare.
Maintaining policies and procedures in accordance with accreditation standards is the responsibility of the whole practice team.
North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN) is not itself a registered accreditation agency, but provides resources to support the process.
Accreditation agencies are the first point of contact. Each practice will be assigned a support officer, as well as access to online resources provided by the agency. Visit the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care website for a list of approved accreditation agencies.
Practice Incentives Program
The Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care’s Practice Incentives Program (PIP) supports general practice activities that encourage continuing improvements, quality care, enhanced capacity and improved access and health outcomes for patients.
It is administered by Services Australia administer on behalf of the department and comprises 9 incentives in 3 payment streams. See guidelines here.
NWMPHN’s quality improvement program
We support general practices to deliver integrated, person-centred care that is comprehensive, accessible, safe and coordinated. Our quality improvement program is a key part of this.
Each practice in our catchment can create a practice plan for improvement.
An NWMPHN quality improvement program officer will work with you to tailor a plan to suit your needs and objectives, and support your growth. It will identify priorities for the following 12 months, and how we will work with you to achieve these. Find out more here.
Standards and companion documents
The following RACGP documents assist with practice accreditation:
- Standards for general practices (5th edition) and resources
- Standards for after-hours services and medical deputising services
- Computer information security standards, guidelines and workbook
- Infection prevention and control standards (5th edition)
- Information security in general practice
- Managing emergencies and pandemics in general practice
- Clinical guidelines
Making the most of patient feedback
For help seeking and learning from patient feedback, see the Patient feedback guide: Learning from our patients. RACGP has also approved the following validated patient experience questionnaires:
The organisations listed below provide CPR training to primary care providers in the NWMPHN region. They are recognised by the Australian Resuscitation Council and provide course HLTAID009 (face to face). Please refer to the RACGP guidance on Basic Life Support and Advanced Life Support Guide for more information.
NWMPHN is not affiliated with any of these organisations. The following information was correct at the time of publishing on 19 April 2022.
CPR provider Onsite training provided?
(For example: in a general practice.)
Training for individuals at provider locations? Provider locations Australian Red Cross
Phone: 1300 367 428
Yes Yes Laverton
Australia Wide First Aid
Phone: (07) 3437 7500
Yes Yes Bundoora
CPR First Aid
Phone: 1300 305 606
Yes Yes Bundoora
Emergency First Aid
Phone: 1300 301 193
Yes Yes Bacchus Marsh
First Aid Management & Training Centre
Phone: (03) 9894 1013
Yes Yes Altona
Phone: 0419 530 944
Yes Yes Craigieburn Premium Health
Phone: 1300 721 292
Yes Yes Melbourne CBD
St John Ambulance Victoria
Phone: 1300 360 455
Yes Yes Keilor East
Christopher Breen (paramedic – facilitated by Benchmarque Group)
Mobile: 0411 874 490
Yes No N/A First Aid Training Melbourne CBD
Phone: 1300 628 299
Yes Yes Melbourne CBD Life Saving Victoria
Training area phone: (03) 9676 6950
Yes Yes Port Melbourne
Infection control and cold chain management
- Infection control guidelines for the prevention of transmission of infectious diseases in the health care system (Department of Health)
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention of Infection in Health Care 2010, and accompanying tool kit and guidebook for primary care settings (Australian Commission on Quality and Safety in Healthcare)
- Cold chain management information (Victorian Department of Health and Human Services)
- National Vaccine Storage Guidelines ‘Strive for 5’ (3rd edition). (Search for ‘vaccine storage’ in directory.)
- The Red Book: guidelines for preventative health in general practice (8th edition) (RACGP)
- SNAP (smoking, nutrition, alcohol, physical activity) practice guidelines (RACGP)
- Australian Prescriber (journal)
- Diabetes Australia website
- National Asthma Council website
- National Heart Foundation website
- The Australian Medicines Handbook
- Therapeutic Guidelines website
Health Complaints Commissioner
- Webinar slides for demystifying accreditation under the Standards for general practices (5th edition).
Free CAT4 license for practices registered for the PIP