HealthPathways Melbourne is a clinical management and referral resource designed for use during consultations. It gives clinicians a single website to access clinical referral pathways and resources.
View progress reports
View case studies (.pdf)
- Overdiagnosis of benign murmurs
- Managing headaches in children
- HealthPathways assistance with refugee health
- Managing common Orthopaedic presentations
- Assistance in assessment of a toddler whose feet turn in
- Assistance with family violence in general practice settings
- HealthPathways and palliative care
- Alcohol and other drugs management
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- HealthPathways assistance with pregnancy
Each ‘pathway’ provides clear and concise guidance for assessing and managing a patient with a particular symptom or condition. Pathways also include information about making referrals to services in the local health system.
Each pathway is evidence-informed, but also reflects local conditions, and aims to preserve clinical autonomy and patient choice. HealthPathways programs are developed by primary health networks across Australia for their region.
HealthPathways Melbourne goals
The goals of HealthPathways Melbourne are to:
- enhance clinical knowledge and promote best-practice care
- reduce the number of patients referred to specialist care who could be managed in a primary and/or community care setting
- build collaboration and reduce fragmentation across the health service network
- improve health outcomes by enabling consumers to access to the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
Who should use HealthPathways?
Health professionals who:
- seek up-to-date, evidence-based information about the assessment and management of a range of health-related conditions
- seek information about how and when a patient should be referred to hospital, community health and other services, to ensure appropriate and timely care
- are new to the area and would like guidance on local referral options.
How is HealthPathways Melbourne developed?
Pathways are created by local GPs, working in partnership with specialists, nurses, allied health and other health professionals.
HealthPathways Melbourne is a collaborative program run by the Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network (EMPHN), and North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN), and is supported by:
- participating primary care clinicians and consumers
- Alfred Health
- Austin Health
- Djerriwarrh Health
- Eastern Health
- Mercy Health
- Monash Health
- Northern Health
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
- The Royal Children’s Hospital
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital
- The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- The Royal Women’s Hospital
- Western Health
- community health organisations, councils and other health organisations in both the EMPHN and NWMPHN regions.
Other hospitals will be invited to participate in subsequent phases of the program and/or to contribute specific clinical knowledge and expertise.
How do I access HealthPathways Melbourne?
If you have already registered for HealthPathways Melbourne, visit melbourne.healthpathways.org.au to log in.
Access to HealthPathways Melbourne is limited to health professionals in the EMPHN and NWMPHN catchments only. Request access here or contact the team at email@example.com for your practice’s unique URL to set up automatic login, making access to HealthPathways Melbourne easier.
To receive the monthly HealthPathways Melbourne Bulletin, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I get involved?
Use the ‘Send feedback’ button in the top-right corner of any page on the HealthPathways Melbourne website to make suggestions, or to let us know about incorrect information, including faulty links or incorrect referral information.
Join us in pathway development and review
We are always looking for health professionals to be involved in pathway development and reviews. If you would like to be involved, or would like more information about what participation entails, please email email@example.com
Book a demonstration
Email the team to book a live demonstration of HealthPathways Melbourne at your practice: firstname.lastname@example.org