The primary care workforce
We support primary care providers through training and education, networking opportunities, and keeping providers informed about changes at a local, state and federal level.
Our role is to:
- improve coordination and communication between existing services
- encourage and support new and expanded services in areas of need
- recast the health system to be centred around the needs of the person, rather than the requirements of health services.
How do we engage with the primary care workforce?
General Practice Advisory Group
Our General Practice Advisory Group (GPAG) includes general practitioners, practice nurses and practice managers from across the North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN) region. GPAG provides guidance to ensure that primary health care improvement activities reflect the needs and preferences of primary health care providers working in central, north and western Melbourne.
NWMPHN consults with GPAG in relation to:
- reforms and implementation challenges, opportunities and enablers
- design and implementation of quality improvement programs
- general practice priorities and workforce development
- regional networks for practice managers, practice nurses and interdisciplinary practitioners
- design and implementation of NWMPHN programs that affect general practice
- education, training and resource development.
Our think tank of primary care providers is designed for people who want to contribute to NWMPHN but cannot commit to an ongoing role. Learn more and join our think tank.
We host regular, virtual and face-to-face networking events for practice managers and practice nurses. These are an opportunity to keep up-to-date, share ideas and learn from your peers. Keep an eye on our events calendar and our e-newsletters for upcoming meetings and networking events.
We use the Basecamp platform to provide closed online forums for practice managers and nurses in the NWMPHN region. This provides opportunities to connect with peers across the region, anytime and from anywhere. Participants in the Basecamp forums can ask questions, share ideas and discuss topics that are important to the workforce. Questions can often be quickly answered on Basecamp – it is a highly recommended tool for practice managers and nurses.
If you would like to join Basecamp or have any questions, please email email@example.com
- Basecamp – for practice managers
- Basecamp – for practice nurses
- Basecamp instructions
- Basecamp guidelines
We host regular virtual and face-to-face networking events for practice managers and practice nurses. These are an opportunity to keep up to date, share ideas and learn from your peers. Keep an eye on our events calendar for upcoming meetings and networking events.
Regional interdisciplinary networking events
Regional networks provide an opportunity for primary health care providers including pharmacists, allied health, aged care nurses and general practice teams to learn from each other. There are opportunities to come together for CPD training and facilitated networking.
Our first regional network topic will be family violence, starting in March 2021. Keep an eye on our events page and General Practice Updates for dates.