To claim PIP payments, practices must:
- be a general practice as defined by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- be an open practice as defined by the PIP
- be accredited, or registered for accreditation, against the RACGP Standards for general practices
- maintain at least $10 million in public liability insurance cover
- have professional indemnity insurance cover for all general practitioners and nurse practitioners.
Payments are managed by Services Australia/Medicare.