The Northern Health Endoscopy Service now offers direct access colonoscopy for patients with a Positive Faecal Occult Blood Test (+FOBT) that was performed as part of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBSCP).
To reduce the wait time for colonoscopy and colorectal cancer diagnosis.
• Improved time to colonoscopy for patients with NBCSP +FOBT
• Deliver safe, effective and appropriate healthcare for NBCSP +FOBT patients
• Reduce variation in clinical practice associated with waiting time for NBCSP +FOBT patients
• NBCSP invites those aged 50 to 74 years to undergo FOBT screening every two years
• Sensitivity of iFOBT for CRC is approximately 79% and specificity of 94% on two samples
• FOBT is not indicated if rectal bleeding is a symptom
• If FOBT is positive, a colonoscopy is indicated in most circumstances
For more information and a referral form visit the Northern Health website.
Disclaimer: This article was provided by Northern Health. While every effort has been made to ensure the information is accurate, North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network does not warrant or represent the accuracy, currency and completeness of any information or material included within.