The HealthPathways Melbourne Clinician Self-Care pathway is available to support GPs.
Protecting your mental health during the pandemic will keep you functioning at your peak. There is a range of support options available specifically for doctors:
- RACGP GP Support Program: a free and confidential 24/7 psychological support service. Call 1300 361 008.
- RACGP fact sheets:
- RACGP GP wellbeing resources
- GPMHSC resources and support for ongoing care of patients and self-care for GPs.
- DRS4DRS: Doctors and medical students can also access support 24/7 from senior GPs and counsellors via the website and the Victorian helpline: 03 9280 8712.
- DRS4DRS also have a series of five-minute guides on topics including compassion fatigue, burnout and many more.
- The Australian Medical Association Victoria’s Peer Support Service is available every day of the year from 8:00am to 10:00pm on 1300 853 338. The principle of the Peer Support Service is doctors supporting doctors and the service is available to all doctors and medical students in Victoria and Tasmania. You can remain anonymous and your call is confidential.
- The Victorian Doctors Health Program will continue to be available 24/7 to all medical students and doctors in Victoria and Tasmania throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call (03) 9280 8738. The Program will be using teleconferencing and videoconferencing for all consultations during this time.
- Black Dog Institute’s Mental Health Community of Practice is running interactive online mental health sessions for GPs. Participants will have the opportunity to explore challenges faced in practice and provide peer support to others who may be experiencing similar issues. Participants must be members of the Black Dog Institute Mental Health Community of Practice but membership is free. Join here.
- NWMPHN webinar ‘Managing challenging behaviour and importance of self-care in General Practice’ presented by Katrina Otto and a local practice manager, Sally Cordina, provides insight and strategies to address the everyday challenges faced by general practice. To access our recorded webinar videos, click here.