- Principles of a Palliative Approach
- Communication and Advance Care Planning
- Symptom Assessment and Management
- Terminal Phase Care
- Local Service Networks and other resource
Collaborative, has provided funding for PEPA to work with PHNs to deliver a Palliative Approach Workshop for GPs in each of the 31 PHNs by the end of 2017. The funding demonstrates the Government's commitment
to improving palliative care provision in Australia. This project will assist PHNs in their endeavours to improve coordination of care for patients requiring palliative care through building capacity and improving networks
between GPs and specialist palliative care services.
Learning outcomes1. Identify key strategies for identifying individuals in the general practice setting who may be
approaching the end of life.
2. Implement strategies for communicating with patients and families about prognosis, goals and
preferences for care.
3. Understand the principles of end of life care, including assessment and management of pain and other common symptoms.
4. Use resources that support general practitioners to provide end of life care
5. Investigate self-care strategies to effectively manage personal issues related to work in this field.