Introduction by Dr Jo Silva, GP Advisor Western Health
This workshop is suitable for those health professionals who want to know:
- What advance care planning is about
- How to introduce the subject to other people
- How to assist people with advance care planning decisions
- How to complete the advance care planning documents
- Information about the Medical Treatment Planning & Decisions Act 2016 which commenced 12 March 2018
- In the event of a patient not having decision making capacity, medical practitioners will be obliged to make reasonable efforts to locate an Advance Care Directive (ACD) and the patient’s Medical Treatment Decision Maker (MTDM)
- Patients will be able to refuse treatment for conditions they do not currently have.
Manager Advance Care Planning Program Manager, Royal Melbourne Hospital
Jo has a background is nursing along with postgraduate qualifications in gerontology and applied social research. She has worked in the quality improvement area at Melbourne Health since 2002 and was involved in several projects aimed at improving the care of older people in hospital. She has had a role in Advance Care Planning since 2013 and has overseen the development of systems and processes to support ACP in the acute setting as well as participating in various quality improvement activities with NWMPHN.
Advance Care Planning Program Manager, St Vincent’s Hospital
Caroline is a Critical Care Nurse with 14 years’ experience working in ICU, Deteriorating Patient and Advance Care Planning, along with having a post-graduate Diploma in Critical Care. In both roles she has built capacity within the organisation and implemented systems to allow patient involvement in Advance Care Planning. Caroline has a broad understanding of safety and quality in healthcare and is dedicated to improving the patient journey. She was heavily involved in the implementation of the MTPD Act at SVHM, and has presented posters at local and international conferences on ACP and the Deteriorating patient.
Anne Marie Fabri,
Manager Advance Care Planning, Northern Health
Anne Marie is a Registered Nurse with post graduate qualifications and experience in community, palliative care and aged care nursing and adult education. Her role involves ACP program development and evaluation, provision of education and support and advice to Northern Health clinicians and patients, community members, and local external health service providers.
6.30 - 7pm: Registration and dinner
7.00 - 9pm: Education
Lecture Theatre, 1st Floor,
Western Health Centre of Education,
Sunshine Hospital, 176 Furlong Road, St Albans