What is the Trans GP Module?
This module - the first in Australia - is designed for general practitioners, practice nurses and medical students to become familiar with and sensitive to the diverse terminology, experiences, health issues, standards, and referral pathways with respect to trans, gender diverse, and non-binary (TGDNB) clients. The overarching purpose is to promote more inclusive and responsive services for TGDNB people in primary health care settings.
The full module takes about 60 minutes to complete, covers a range of areas, and incorporates a variety of activities and visual content. You can also choose to do particular sections of the module by using the index on the dashboard of the online classroom.
- To create an affirming and inclusive environment for TGDNB patients attending general practice and community care;
- To understand diversity and the terminology used by TGDNB people;
- To become familiar with the current standards of care for TGDNB patients including eligibility, assessment and referral pathways for gender transition (affirmation) therapies;
- To be aware of the key issues in hormone management and surgical options for gender affirmation;
- To be competent in providing care for common psychosocial issues among TGDNB patients.
Other LGBTI+ programs
- Aged care LGBTI+ inclusive practice training delivered by Transgender Victoria to workers in aged care facilities;
- QHealth – this is a joint initiative between Drummond Street Services and Merri Health that provides counselling for LGBTI+ people who would like to talk about concerns or impacts of their alcohol or other drug use;
- We have also funded a suite of LGBTI+ healthpathways including a new trans and gender diverse pathway. On the index on the lefthand side of the page, go to "Specific Populations" > "LGBTI Health" to see all the topics;
- Targeted psychological services (provided via CAREinMIND) by VAC, Drummond Street Services and Mind Equality Centre;
- North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network is also a national trial site for LGBTI+ suicide prevention.