The Australian Digital Health Agency electronic prescriptions eLearning courses for prescribers and dispensers are now available. The courses are free and accessible at training.digitalhealth.gov.au
The courses have been accredited by the Australian Pharmacy Council, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine. Practitioners who complete the courses can claim CPD/PDP credits/points upon successful completion of each module.
The eLearning courses include three modules:
- Introducing electronic prescriptions
- Using electronic prescriptions
- Preparing for electronic prescriptions
After completing the course, you will be able to:
- Describe what electronic prescriptions are and where they are stored.
- Discuss the token model and how it is used to prescribe and dispense medicines.
- Identify key legislative and software conformance requirements.
- Outline the steps that health care providers need to follow to prepare the organisation for electronic prescriptions.
- Respond to common patient questions about electronic prescriptions.
Useful links and resources
There are a number of electronic prescriptions resources covering readiness requirements and workflow aspects released by software providers and Primary Health Networks. The following resources are available to assist you:
- Electronic prescribing checklist for general practice
- Video: Electronic prescriptions and Scrypt (thanks to Hunter New England and Central Coast PHN)
- Electronic Prescribing Q&A podcast (thanks to Best Practice)
- Preparing your practice for ePrescribing – Readiness checklist (thanks to MedicalDirector)
- ZedMed – Electronic prescribing FAQs
A new Electronic Prescribing pathway has been published on HealthPathways Melbourne. It contains information about interim PBS prescribing arrangements during the COVID-19 pandemic and is being updated regularly. Need a login? Request access here.
For more information, please contact your NWMPHN relationship manager or the Primary Health Care Improvement team on 03 9347 1188 or email email@example.com