The Infection Prevention and Control Helpline (the Helpline), funded by the Victorian Department of Health, was made available in June 2021, to ensure patient and staff safety was maintained during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since launch, the Helpline, delivered by the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA), has assisted 630 health professionals, with guidance, tips and strategies to improve their infection prevention and control (IPC) processes. Now that COVID infections no longer warrant an emergency response and primary care providers are proficient in IPC processes, the dedicated Helpline will cease on 30 September 2023.
Victorian pharmacies, general practices and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations can continue to access the dedicated Helpline for free until then, by calling 1800 312 968 or 03 9956 1046 between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
From 01 October 2023, members of APNA can continue to seek support directly via the APNA Nurse Support Line: https://www.apna.asn.au/membership/member-benefits/nurse-support. Non members should reach out to their local PHN if in need of further IPC support. The following resources are also available:
- RACGP Infection prevention and control guidelines for general practices and other office-based and community-based practices (the IPC guidelines)
This resource draws upon RACGP standards for general practices. Fifth edition.
- Victorian Department of Health COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines: https://www.health.vic.gov.au/covid-19-infection-prevention-control-guidelines
- VICNISS eLearning modules
- Victorian HealthPathways – infection prevention and control sites (requires registration)
- Murray Infection Prevention and Control – Community HealthPathways Murray: https://murray.communityhealthpathways.org/.
- Melbourne Infection Prevention and Control – Community HealthPathways Melbourne: https://melbourne.communityhealthpathways.org/
- Western Victoria Infection Prevention and Control – Community HealthPathways Western Victoria
Unsure/still can’t find what you are looking for? Further resources including fact sheets and webinar content are available here: https://www.apna.asn.au/nursing-tools/clinical-resource-information/infection-prevention-helpline. Note this weblink will be updated after 30 September 2023.
Disclaimer: This article was provided by PHN. While every effort has been made to ensure the information is accurate, North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network does not warrant or represent the accuracy, currency and completeness of any information or material included within.