The session will be delivered in a lecture style for GPs and GP registrars. Topics to be covered include: glaucoma, blepharitis and dry eye, diabetic retinopathy and aged macular degeneration, as well as support and services available from Vision Australia.
- Briefly outline what is glaucoma and discuss treatment options including possible side effects;
- Describe a range of different eye diseases that can occur in patients with diabetes and develop a safety net approach to screening and referrals by identifying guidelines and pathways in the management of these conditions;
- Identify and discuss early warning signs of AMD, determine when and which patients should be screened and briefly outline the use of anti-VEG-F injections in its management;
- Outline the diagnosis and management of dry eye and blepharitis, explain how to advise patients regarding treatments, including various types of ocular lubricants;
- List the types of supports and services available and identify which patients may benefit from low vision services and determine how they can access these services.
- Dr Jennifer Fan-Gaskin | Ophthalmology Consultant, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Dr Georgia Cleary | Ophthalmology Consultant, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Dr Szczepan Nowakowski | Ophthalmology Consultant, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Anita Egan | Orthoptist, Vision Australia
- Dr Jennifer Fan-Gaskin | Glaucoma
Dr Fan Gaskin has a keen interest in ophthalmic research. Early in her career she was awarded a prestigious Clinical Research Training Fellowship - Career Development Award from the Health Research Council of New Zealand. During her clinical training she also completed a Doctorate of Medicine (MD) thesis examining the keratoconic cornea. She is on the board of the Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia. She is a member of the Ophthalmology Liaison Committee for Glaucoma Australia, the Victorian representative on the CPD committee for RANZCO, and an examiner of the RANZCO Ophthalmic Basic Competencies and Knowledge examination.
- Dr Georgia Cleary | Blepharitis and Dry Eye
- Dr Szczepan Nowakowsi | Diabetic Retinopathy and AMD
He has Public and Academic Appointments as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Monash Health, and Barwon Health.
- Anita Egan, Vision Australia | How to manage acute vision loss & services available
Registration: 12:45pm – 1:00pm
Session: 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Refreshments will be provided.
Wilsons Car Park: 410 Albert St, or 90 Victoria Pde ($8 weekend rate, or $5.50 if you book online at www.wilsonparking.com.au/book-a-bay).
Street parking also available (some unrestricted after 12:30pm on Saturdays, please check signs carefully!)