LivingWorks Capacity Building Project: LGBTIQ+ Adaptation of Suicide Prevention Training
14 December 2019 – 30 June 2022
All suburbs within NWMPHN
LivingWorks Australia has collaborated with representatives of the LGBTIQ+ community to adapt the ASIST and safeTALK evidence-based methods of suicide prevention and intervention.
The ASIST and safeTALK training seeks to build capacity to provide suicide intervention for staff and volunteers at LGBTIQ+ organisations, staff at mainstream organisations that focus on supporting LGBTIQ+ populations, and informal and formal LGBTIQ+ leaders.
The program involves:
- delivery of LivingWorks Start training
- adaptation of the ASIST and safeTALK training for LGBTIQ+ participants
- training LGBTIQ+ ASIST and safeTALK trainers to deliver the adapted training
- delivery of the LGBTIQ+ ASIST and safeTALK training.
Development of a culturally safe and relevant suicide prevention training package for the LGBTIQ+ community that was community-led and designed.
Participation at June 2021:
- 60 individuals trained in Start training from the Noun Project
- 117 individuals trained in LGBTIQ+ safeTALK (across 15 training sessions)
- 11 safeTALK trainers trained
- 15 ASIST trainer trained
- 295 individuals trained in LGBTIQ+ ASIST (across 21 training sessions)
Read the evaluation report for this project below and learn more about how this project was evaluated.