Continuing Professional Development
40 RACGP CPD Accredited Activity points; 20 ACRRM PDP points; ACNP Endorsed
This course is designed to support GPs and Nurse Practitioners in managing and treating HIV in the general practice setting, providing them with the opportunity to establish relationships with local specialist services for ongoing mentoring and referral. Upon successful completion of this training and the associated assessment, you may apply to your relevant State Department of health for authority to prescribe section 100 drugs for the management of HIV in Australia.
Format: Online, over 4 weeks
Start Date: Monday 27 September 2021
End Date: Sunday 24 October 2021
If completing the course is not convenient for you at this time, please be aware there will future opportunities. Please contact the team at email@example.com if you wish to submit an expression of interest for future HIV s100 prescriber courses.
Places in this course are limited. We kindly ask that you only register if you can commit to the following:
Before the course:
Completion of the pre-course online learning, including:
- Pre-course Activity: Multiple choice questionnaire (Mandatory, approx. 8 mins)
- Introduction to HIV Online Learning Module: Self-paced online learning modules (Mandatory, approx. 3 hrs)
- HIV Prevention - Video Module: Online video presentation (Mandatory, approx. 1 hr)
- Australian PEP Guidelines: Pre-reading in preparation for Week 1 Case Discussion (Optional, approx.1 hr)
- HIV PrEP Prescribing in General Practice: self-paced Online Learning Module (Optional, approx. 1.5hrs)
During the course:
The course will run over 4 weeks compromising of a variety of weekly tasks, including:1. Completion of pre-recorded video modules: Each week, video lectures (1.5 -2 hour) will be available for participants to watch at time that suits them. The interactive webinar activities will be based on learnings from these video lectures.
2. Live webinars: Attendance of four live webinars are compulsory for successful completion of the course. Dates and times of these webinars are as follows:
- Thursday 30 September, 6:30pm – 8:30pm AEST
- Thursday 7 October, 6:30pm – 8:30pm AEDT
- Thursday 14 October, 6:30pm – 8:30pm AEDT
- Thursday 21 October, 6:30pm – 8:30pm AEDT
3. Completion of assignments: One assignment must be completed during the course, which includes two case studies and takes approx. 30 mins to complete.
After the course:
A post-course online assessment comprising of multiple-choice questions must be completed for participants to become accredited HIV s100 prescribers.
• Describe the principles of initiation of antiretroviral therapy.
• Evaluate the complexity of factors influencing patients’ treatment decisions.
• Develop a clinical management plan for a patient on therapy, incorporating strategies for health promotion and harm minimisation.
• Describe the contributing factors to the development of treatment toxicities and antiretroviral resistance.
• Identify appropriate referral pathways for complex HIV issues including salvage therapy, women considering pregnancy and IRIS.