The North West Melbourne Pharmacotherapy Network provides support for general practitioners, pharmacists and health professionals to prevent and manage opioid dependence in the community.
The Network supports GPs by:
- Providing up to date information regarding safe prescribing of opioids, guidelines and relevant training opportunities
- Facilitating professional mentoring, Communities of Practice, and clinical placements with an experienced GP in prescribing Medication-Assisted Treatment of Opioid Dependence (MATOD), also known as pharmacotherapy
- Providing resources and support for practice staff
- Promoting client pathways to treatment and to access Addiction Medicine Specialists for complex patients where there are concerns regarding opioid use and/or opioid dependence
- working to reduce stigma associated with alcohol and other drug-related issues in general practice
GP Mentoring and Clinical Placements
Peer-based support and the opportunity to undertake a clinical placement with an experienced MATOD prescriber is available for GPs who have completed Module 2 ‘GP MATOD Accreditation Training’.
Please email email@example.com for more information.
Western Health provides Addiction Medicine Specialist support for GPs. Our secondary consultation service assists with the assessment, diagnosis, and development of management plans where there are concerns about opioid dependence. The service is free with out-post clinics conveniently located across north west metropolitan Melbourne.
Referrals can be made by standard letter head and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (03) 7000 1822.
The Network promotes training for GPs to safely prescribe opioids and prescribe Buprenorphine and Methadone. Training is provided by the RACGP and funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
Module 1 - Safer Opioid Prescribing in General Practice:
Module 2 - GP MATOD Accreditation Training
Prescribing Buprenorphine and Methadone: Interactive skills-based workshop. All-day session.
Find out more.