23 July 2020
The GP Liaison team at Royal Melbourne Hospital has provided the following COVID-19 update for GPs:
- Royal Melbourne Hospital’s (RMH’s) City Campus Emergency Department (ED) has both normal ED, and a separate Respiratory ED for potential COVID-19 patients.
- The Hospital’s City wards are separated into normal wards and specific COVID-19 wards. Staff have PPE, PPE training and access to staff COVID-19 screening clinics.
- Visitors are only for palliative care and essential care giving, by prior arrangement. Phone and video chat are encouraged instead.
- Patients are not being discharged to Royal Park Campus for subacute care of rehabilitation currently. They may be referred to another service.
Royal Park Campus
- The Royal Park Campus (RPC) has accepted COVID-19 positive patients from some local nursing homes where they have difficulty isolating patients.
- Consequently, RPC will not be accepting patients for subacute care, rehabilitation or transition care.
- No visitors at RPC, unless by prior arrangement in exceptional circumstances.
- Outpatient appointments are mostly by telehealth.
What does this mean for GPs?
- RMH aims to keep patients, staff, families and visitors safe.
- The RMH Emergency department can still safely see normal ED presentations.
- Families may be worried they cannot visit their loved ones in hospital.
- Some patients may be discharged home early and may need a GP telehealth check-up after you receive their discharge summary*.
- Some patients may be transferred to services further from home than usual.
- Some patients may go home as RMH@Home patients (hospital in the home).
- RMH is developing a virtual hospital model for COVID-19 positive patients, and you may be asked to assist with monitoring well patients by telehealth.
- Patients may need support from family/friends for RMH or GP telehealth appointments.
*If a GP does not have a discharge summary, please download the patient information request form available on the RMH website, then fax to RMH Hospital Information Services (HIS): 03 9342 8008. If urgent, please call RMH HIS on 03 9342 7359.
With the GP Liaison team, Royal Melbourne Hospital.