We support primary care nurses in a number of ways. Through training and education, networking opportunities, and keeping nurses informed about changes to the local health system.
Primary Health Care Nurses from across the region have told us that NWMPHN is ideally placed to support and facilitate more online networking opportunities. Through a closed online forum, called Basecamp, we provide nurses with the opportunity to connect with peers regardless of where they are. Contact us today to find out how to get involved.
Orientation resource for nurses new to general practice
The following resources and courses may assist nurses who are new to working in general practice:
- Orientation Checklist (.pdf, 88kb): includes useful links and websites and contact information. Reference group members have given input into this resource
- Functions of a general practice nurse (.pdf, 70kb)
- An Orientation for Nurses New to General Practice: This online course is free for APNA members. It provides an understanding of roles, responsibilities and skills necessary for nurses working in the general practice environment.
Workforce Incentive Program
The Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) replaces the Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP) and the General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP) from early 2020. If you are already participating in the PNIP and GPRIP, you’ll automatically transition to the WIP. More information is available here.
Primary Health Care Nurses Reference Group
The Primary Health Care Nurses Reference Group (PHCNRG) consists of up to eight nurse representatives, chosen from the various service environments across our catchment. The Reference Group meets four times a year and is chaired by the Clinical Practice Program Officer. Aims of the PHCNRG are to:
- act as a collective representative of Primary Health Care Nurses from across our catchment area.
- provide input on Primary Health Care Nurses training and education needs.
- assist in driving a relevant continuing professional development agenda.
- evaluate Primary Health Care Nursing resources.
- provide feedback to us regarding significant and topical issues for Primary Health Care Nurses.
- ensure the needs of all Primary Health Care Nurses within our region are considered.
- ensure program activities and plans are appropriate and targeted to local needs in our region.
For more information, please contact our Practice Support team on (03) 9347 1188.