This session is aimed at the experienced medical reception and administrative staff within a general practice and will cover 4-6 key areas associated with delivery of quality care and service in a medical practice.
During the day, program will cover:
- e-Health: what does it mean for me on the frontline?
- So how did I handle that one? Exceeding expectations with great customer service and effective triage decisions;
- Accreditation 101: what is it and what is my role?
- Effective triage - including difficult patients/situations;
- Privacy, your obligation;
- What item and why? MBS identification and compliance.
- Identify the “most important” customer service factors and how they can be implemented in my practice;
- Understand the common terms associated with e-Health and how they relate to general practice;
- Understand the accreditation process and the role of the medical receptionist in accreditation process;
- Confidently triage patient requests and difficult situations to ensure best possible outcomes with least risk of adverse events;
- Understand the legislative issues around privacy and your role in ensuring compliance and mitigating risk;
- Explain how understanding MBS basics and consistent operational processes improve practice efficiency/patient management.
- Margaret McPherson
Fellow & CPM AAPM, Dip Pce Mgmnt, Dip HR, Cert IV Training & Assessment.
Maggie has held the position of Practice Manager at North Richmond Community Health Centre for the past 4 ½ years. In that time Maggie has increased the number of GPs from 5 to 12, significantly improved the financial performance, achieved Accreditation, computerised the practice and worked with GPs and management to develop a strategic plan for the medical practice.
Maggie was the AAPM Victorian Practice Manager of the Year in 2015, convenor of the 2016 AAPM National Conference and is the current Victorian State President of AAPM. Prior to her career in health, Maggie was an IT trainer and managed an 800 bed London Hotel where she was responsible for training staff around “Great Customer Service”.
- Brett McPherson
CPM, FAAPM & Life Member – AAPM, Grad Dip Business, FETC (Oxford)
Brett has 25+ years health management experience and currently consults to, and works with a number of general practices across Australia, where adopting “Quality as a Business Strategy” and embracing e-Health through IT innovation provides significant benefits to patients, practice services and overall practice efficiency and profitability. Brett sits on the RACGP – GPAF and St Vincent’s Hospital GP Liaison Advisory Groups: he has previously sat on a number of government and professional advisory groups, including PIP, PNIP, Medicare Compliance, NEHTA (now ADHA) Clinical Lead and NW Melbourne PHN – Practice Managers Reference Group. Brett co-authored the AVANT Practice Manager Resource Tool. Brett consults widely to medical practices and is regularly sought as a speaker for international, national and local events on a variety of topics around practice management.
Registration: 9:30am - 10:00am
Program: 10:00am - 4:00pm