North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN) has funded the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) to implement the Pharmacists in General Practice program in the north western region of Melbourne.
The program brings together elements of workforce capacity building, chronic disease prevention and management and Quality Use of Medicines principles.
- Improve quality use of medicines by patients and clinicians
- Optimise prescribing in general practice
- Improve patient medication literacy and adherence
The services provided by pharmacists in general practice varies between practices, but generally includes:
- Patient-focused activities such as identifying and resolving medication use and safety problems, medicines education and medicines reconciliation and improving relationships with other care providers including community pharmacists.
- Staff-focused activities such as practice staff education sessions, answering medication information queries.
- Practice-based activities such as Drug Utilisation Reviews (criteria-based evaluation of drug use to help ensure medicines are used appropriately at the individual patient level) and advice on prescribing according to evidence-based guidelines