Over-the counter codeine products will be prescription only from 1 February 2018.
What's changing?Over-the counter codeine products will be prescription only from 1 February 2018. This decision has been made by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), based on the evidence and advice provided through a lengthy consultation period with health professionals, industry, patients and health peak bodies.
What can you do to prepare?
- Start having the conversations with your patients now
- Access various training and resources before 1 February 2018
- Hand out consumer resources
- Familiarize yourself with local treatment services
- Learn about pharmacotherapy – contact North West Melbourne Pharmacotherapy Network.
- Be aware of the supports available to you.
Health Pathways MelbourneHealthPathways Melbourne provides evidenced-based information and referral pathways on:
- Pain Management Referrals
- Prescribing drugs of dependence
- Opioid Conversion Guidelines
- As codeine becomes prescription only and as Real-Time Prescription Monitoring/SafeScript is introduced, more people will be diagnosed with opioid dependence.
- These patients may benefit from pharmacotherapy/Opioid Replacement Therapy (ORT).
- Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Dependence (MATOD) is evidence-based and appropriate for dependence on over-the-counter codeine, prescription opioids or illicit opioids.
- All GPs may prescribe Suboxone to up to 5 patients without completing prescriber training
- Click here to view a webinar about prescribing Buprenorphine/Naloxone
- GPs to become approved prescribers of pharmacotherapies by completing the two training modules provided by RACGP and registering with DHHS
- Pharmacies to become approved suppliers of pharmacotherapies by applying for permission from DHHS.
- The North West Melbourne Pharmacotherapy Network is available to assist and guide you as you set up and implement your pharmacotherapy program.
Education and events
- Managing Codeine Presentations and Lessons Learnt Thus Far - 6 March 2018, 6:30pm - 9:00pm, Doncaster
- The implications of codeine rescheduling RACGP recorded webinar